Saturday, July 4, 2015

Green Milkweed

I've been planting more milkweeds (Asclepias sp,) around our property with mixed success.  Butterfly milkweed, A. tuberosa, has done well and looks great with its showy orange flowers.  Swamp or rose milkweed, A. incarnata, has had trouble.  My deer, for some reason, seen to like to eat up the young plants I put in.  I've resorted to putting wire cages around them so the have a change to get established.  On the wild side we have a small patch of common milkweed, A. syriaca, which are ignored by the deer and doing quite well.

The other day while mowing I was surprised to find a different species of milkweed.  Not as tall as common milkweed and with drooping green flower clusters, I was sure this was something new (to me).

Green milkweed is noted for it's thick oval leaves and
green nodding flower clusters that hang from the leaf axils.

I checked a couple of guide books and am pretty sure what I found is Green Milkweed, A. viridiflora.  This is a fairly common species, usually found in dry lightly shaded locations, including roadsides, prairies and clearings.  My plant is near the edge of a wooded are, mostly in the open with average moisture soil.

While not showy for us, it does attract pollinators, particularly bees to its sweetly scented flowers and it does provide food for the monarch butterfly caterpillars.  So far I've only seen this one, but I'm watching for more.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I came across your blog while looking for sources of milkweed plants and seeds. I'd like to try some new varieties and have to search for them. What a lucky find to have this come to you!

gardnie07 said...

Green Milkweed is a very interesting Asclepias. I never noticed Monarchs ovipositing on it. In fact I’ve never seen any butterflies visiting the flowers either. But the bees and ants love the flowers. You’re lucky to already have it growing on your property. And I just read that milkweeds are edible to humans when they’re small and the leaves are still tight against the stem. I bet it’s the same for deer.